Sunday, July 25, 2010

Oh where, oh where, have I been these last 6 months?

Oh, dear! I seemed to have put the blog on the back burner over the last few months. Out of sight, but not out of mind actually. I have many stories to share with you, both good and bad news, and many cooking triumphs and cooking disasters. The problem that I had was that because there was a lapse in time from the last blog, I couldn't decide where to begin. Should I start from today, or should I continue where I left off? I guess I've decided that maybe I should just start from today and recall some stories in between.

Here in the suburb of Toronto, we've been having lovely summer weather. Today was probably one of the perfect days as there was less humidity in the air making it more comfortable to be outdoors. Nonetheless, we decided to take the kids to see Dispicable Me since I had two free movie vouchers about to expire for Toy Story 3. Yes, I did the obvious. We saw Toy Story 3 already at a birthday party so today I purchased 3 for Dispicable Me and redeemed the two freebies for Toy Story 3 and we all snuck into the theatre for Dispicable Me. I know, I'm a terrible person, but what the heck. I'm sure I'm not the only person that comes up with these things.

Sunday October 24th, 2010.

Wow! So, it's no longer summer, but now we're in the middle of fall. Has a lot ever happened. and yes again, before even having a chance to get back to finishing off the last post, I again, put this blog back on the back burner. It's not that I don't enjoy blogging, so much as not having the time to do it in. I do think often about it and many of my friends have asked why I haven't written. With so much to write about, without enough hours in the day, it just didn't make the cut.

Well, I'm back again and I'll try to post more often, and I think I'm so far behind on the pictures, that I've captured in the last year that I may just forget and just look ahead.

Today we're going to celebrate another birthday. It's been birthday weekend. I made the cupcakes for my dear friend Toula's son's birthday party and they were a hit. Simple enough, I used boxed cake mix with butter instead of the oil which REALLY DOES change the texture for the better, of the cupcake. I can't understand why people buy boxed "CUPCAKE MIX". Have they not figured out that it doesn't make a difference whether it's cupcake or cake mix? CUPCAKE MIX is much more expensive in than CAKE mix. It's twice as expensive and it yield's half the number of regular cupcakes than a CAKE mix does! So, don't buy the CUPCAKE mix if you do.

For James' birthday, it was a Star Wars Theme so we decided on simple white icing with 4 colours of jimmies to represent the 4 colours of light sabres (I don't think the kids got that - and neither would I have), with a gummy candy in the shape of a fighter jets. These were given a thumbs up by all - by both adults and kids.

I found the perfect buttercream icing recipe on www.allrecipes.com, called Rick's Buttercream Icing. With a bit of tweeking, it's the perfect topping, easy to prepare and easy to pipe on. It holds its shape well and stands up warm temperatures.

I doubled the batch and am making some again for Daniel's 17th birthday party. Hopefully, it'll be a success again with this tougher crowd!

3 comments: