Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas morning Wild Berry Streusel Coffee Cake


This cake is delicious especially warm, right out of the oven~


We put the milk and 3 Oreo cookies down on the hearth but before we left for our annual Christmas Eve party at my dear friends Grace and Calvin's house, (Lauren says that mommy's favourite friend is Auntie Grace), the dog walked by and snatched one of them! Kids didn't notice, so why waste good cookies and put more out? I didn't get to bed until well after midnight but like a kid myself, I was up before anyone (5:34 am to be precise), wondering if Santa had been good to me this year. With nothing left that I could think of to search online with the ipod in bed, I couldn't linger in bed any longer, so at 6:30, I made my way downstairs. No one else was to follow until 7 am. Incredibly, this was probably one of the latest that they've ever slept in until on a Christmas morning.

Santa was apparently very good to everyone this year. (Thank you, Santa!) The most exciting thing for all of us was that Lauren, being just 4 years old, understood the meaning of the magic of Santa for the first time. She had been so excited from the day we put the tree and trimmings up. The fireplace doors were constantly being opened by someone, which we figured probably was Lauren so when we finally caught her in the act one day, and asked her not to and her response was, "But we have to leave it open or Santa can't come in!" It was only mid-November (oh, I was SO organized and prepared this year! :) All she wanted was a horse and carriage (Barbie version only thankfully) and soft mittens. She hates the nylon waterproof ones that she has attached to her winter jacket. When she first came down, she was excited and wanted to see if Santa had answered her wish and with so much more, she actually kind of lost interest opening gifts after a while. But before she made it to the stocking, she saw the Oreo cookie which she polished off before opening her gifts. After all that, I think she thought the horse and carriage was overrated since the horse doesn't neigh and it doesn't pull the carriage, so we think in the end, her favourite gift was the Hungry Hippo game from her big sis.

Actually, I forgot to mention that it is NOT the Hungry Hippo game that she's most excited about. It's the rodent, I mean hamster named Shaylee that her big sis got her! I have to admit that it is quite cute. I think it'll be cute as long as Bailey, the dog doesn't mistaken her for a snack.

Anyway, where was I??? Oh yes, so... once I started, I was on a roll and baked and cooked all day, strumming up 1 Berry Coffee Cake, 2 plain bundt coffee cakes, 4 banana loafs, then we went out to the dim sum with my mom, siblings, neices and nephews and then back home again to prepare for Christmas dinner which was a turkey, prime rib roast, two salads (Caesar and a Winter Salad), a couple of dips, and some spring rolls. My brother brought an ice cream cake, my other brother brought a couple of coconut cream pies and my cousin brought a shrimp platter, a fruit platter and we were set! Needless to say, we were stuffed by the end of the evening. I made two turkeys over two days and Christmas Day's turkey was probably the juiciest one I've ever made. It was done to perfection!

We have some of the best neighbours ever! To thank them for being so good to us throughout the year and to wish them a very merry day, I had the boys send over some warm cake, hoping they could have something to go with their morning coffee. Each sends their love in their own special little packages. As my boys opened the door to leave, there were a couple of specially wrapped gifts for my little guys. We get a delicious homemade peanut brittle each year from another and other little pleasant surprises from others. We are so lucky to have the friends that we do! Oh, did I mention my arse has gotten a smidgen bigger over these last few weeks?? (sighhh)


Wild Berry Streusel Coffee Cake

(Canadian Living Cookbook)


Streusel:

¾ cup light packed brown sugar

½ cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp cinnamon

¼ cup butter

Cake:

½ cup soft butter

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

1 cup sour cream

2 cups berries (fresh or frozen)

  • Streusel: Mix together sugar, flour and cinnamon; blend in butter until crumbly
  • Cake: Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla.
  • Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
  • Spread batter in greased and floured 13 x 9 inch pan. Sprinkle evenly with berries then, streusel.
  • Bake in a 350F oven about 45 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Serve warm. Makes about 12 to 16 servings.




1 comment: