Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thai Green Curry Chicken



I've been craving curry again since I made the Thai Green Curry with beef brisket a couple of weeks ago. I have three fresh chickens so I decided to chop it up and try it green curry chicken.
This green curry has the perfect amount of heat.

I love curry but am not too keen on cooking it for a couple of reasons: 1) because it stinks up the whole house, 2) because I've made it in the past and it just wasn't too tasty so I usually will just go out and buy it, and 3) because I'm more or less the only one that eats it in our family. So unless I know friends are coming over to join us for a meal, I don't usually make it. So, one day a while back, I saw Leela of She Simmer's post. What a great delicious post it was. If you haven't read her blog in the past, I can guarantee that you'll love it. She is very creative, artistic and an eloquent, articulate writer, not mention cute, as well, with amusing stories to go along with her posts.



After I read that post, I was inspired to try to make it for myself. The only difference is that she uses a 4 oz. can of Masaman curry paste and I used about 2 tablespoons of the curry paste and I also added carrots and yellow peppers to mine as well. The results: YUMMMM! My hubby likes it too and I think I ate half the pot!

Massaman Beef Curry: Unctuosness in Curry Form
(Serves 8-10)*

2.5 lbs tri-tip or rump roast, cut into 1-inch cube**
1 12-ounce can of coconut milk
1 4-ounce can of Maesri Massaman curry paste
6-7 smallish Yukon Gold potatoes or new potatoes, cut into thirds***
4 medium yellow onion, quartered
Fish sauce or salt, to taste
Sugar, to taste


  • Dump the curry paste into a large pot, set over medium-high heat, along with the creamy part of the coconut milk that usually rises to the top of the can; stir briskly.
  • When the mixture starts to bubble up around the edges, turn the heat down a notch, and continue to stir until the fat starts to separate somewhat.
  • Add the beef chunks and stir to coat the beef with the curry mixture.
  • Dump the rest of the coconut milk into the pot along with two cups (16 fl. oz.) of water. Stir and bring to a boil.
  • Once the mixture starts boiling, immediately turn the heat way down and cover the pot. High heat and furious boiling will only ruin what would have been unctuous pieces of meat. As is the case for any stewed or braised dishes, long simmering on low heat is best.
  • Let the curry simmer for about 45 minutes.
  • Add the potatoes and onions.
  • Bring the curry to a boil once more, then lower the heat to simmer and continue to cook, covered, for another 10-15 minutes. Season with fish sauce or salt and sugar. The curry shouldn't be sweet. The sugar is added in very small amount just to round out the flavor; it can even be omitted altogether.
  • When the potatoes are fork-tender, your curry is done.
  • 1 comment:

    1. Hi Anna, heard you gave Shirley a hands-on lesson. I've been wanting to try curry for a long time now I'm excited to try the modified chicken version. It sounds like you only use 1/3 the paste and 3 cans of coconut milk, no water, right? Thanks again, LA Anna.

      ReplyDelete