Need a little break! Mmmm...popsicles!Make sure it's all mixed up...Then roll the chilled dough out and cut with your favorite cutters.Place the cut out dough on a cookie sheet.Place cookies in a preheated oven and wait patiently...Et voila! Scrumptious sugar cookies!My friends Christine and Susan dropped by on my birthday a couple of weeks ago and got Lauren this cute little Noah's Ark Cookie making kit for Lauren. The cute little animal shapes made it that much more fun and exciting for Lauren. The problem was that when making sugar cookies, they have to be refrigerated for about an hour before rolling out. She had a blast rolling, cutting, baking and eating these when they were done!
I didn't use the recipe that was provided in the mini cookbook included in the kit because there was an ingredient that I didn't have on hand I think. I did use this recipe but the cut-outs puffed up a bit too much. They were more cake-like than cookie-like. They tasted yummy and I think I ate the bulk of them - what's new? I think the problem was that when we were about to roll them out, I left them out too long, back to room temperature.
I got this recipe from allrecipes.com with great reviews. This recipe is VERY easy to roll out.
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.