Monday, June 29, 2009

To-Die-For Blueberry Muffins



So, it wasn't even quite 10 am this morning and we rolled out a couple of batches of doggy biscuits and a couple of batches of yummy blueberry muffins. With the abundance of berries at every grocery store and market and the prices so low, this is the perfect time to turn out a batch with fresh blueberries. Last week, in my inbox from allrecipes.com, there came an entry for this To-Die-For Blueberry muffin. I have been looking for a muffin recipe that isn't dense and like a lot of the close to 3000 reviews from people like me, our search for the perfect muffin had arrived in my in-boxes!



While stirring this batch up, I was a bit skeptical. The batter was quite thick and heavy. It also says to fill the muffin cups to the top, which I only filled to 4/5 and it was only enough batter to fill 21 cups. Perhaps my muffin cups were a little larger than normal. I went ahead and baked them anyway with water in the empty tins.

I was pleasantly surprised, as were all my kids at how scumptious these are! They were light and fluffy, almost like a muffin mix, but without the full sweetness of a packaged mix. The crunchy crumb topping was delicious and was the perfect combination for this muffin.


I will use this muffin recipe as a base for muffins and try adding different fruits or frozen berries when they aren't in season. The crumb topping would also be the perfect addition to any muffin, but I think it would be even better with brown sugar, or just plain sugar crystals, which I'm going to try next time

MUFFIN MIX

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk (approx.)
1 cup fresh blueberries

CRUMB TOPPING

1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon

TO MAKE MUFFINS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease muffin cups or line with paper liners.

2. Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Measure out 1/3 cup of oil into a 1 cup measuring cup and add an egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture, stir until combined. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups to the top and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

TO MAKE CRUMB TOPPING:

3. Mix together all 4 ingredients with a fork until combined, and sprinkle over muffins.

4. Bake for 20-25 minutes in a preheated oven or until done.

**This is enough crumb for a double batch of muffins.

Mix egg, oil and top with milk to equal 1 cup..

Mix dry ingredients together.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix thoroughly.

Batter's consistency is very thick. Hard to imagine this can turn out fluffy!

Add fresh or frozen blueberries and gently stir.

If you have a large scoop, put one scoop into each muffin cup.

Combine ingredients for crumb topping and stir.

Sprinkle each muffin with a bit of crumb.

Bake at 400 F (I set it at 390F on convection) and baked for 30 minutes.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. The muffins looks just great. Like the idea of topping it with some crumble. I would like to share my award with you. Do check it out on my blog.

    ReplyDelete