Thursday, June 11, 2009

Simple Chicken & Noodles in Soup


I was at the zoo the other day and arrived home a bit late to cook a full-fledged meal so I had to think fast. Thank goodness for freezers! I called home to ask my husband to put a large pot of water on to boil. When I got home, I removed 5 seasoned chicken breast filets from the freezer and soaked in warm water for a quick thaw. I poured 1 large carton on Campbell's chicken broth in another medium pot to boil. I washed the spinach and bean sprouts that I had on-hand. When the large pot of water boiled, I cooked the medium broad noodles with a bit of salt (like cooking spaghetti or pasta). You can get these noodles at any asian grocery store or stores that have an Asian grocery section, which usually comes in a box or in a plastic bag wrapped in paper. I can't remember what type of noodles these are (and I will post the next time I visit the grocer), but they are probably just flour, salt and water.

I love the texture of these noodles. They are firm and slippery, making it tricky to eat. I often break them in half before putting into the salted boiling water.

1/2 lb of noodles
1/2 chicken breast per person
1 large carton or 2 cans of condensed chicken broth with water
1 lb. spinach
1/2 lb. bean sprouts
salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large skillet and add some cooking oil to coat bottom of pan. Add sliced chicken breast meat, sprinkle with some fresh ground pepper and stir fry till no longer pink. Divide into each bowl. No need to add salt unless you're using fresh chicken breast.

When the noodles were cooked, I divided them into portioned sized bowls and set aside. When the chicken broth boiled, I blanched the spinach for about a minute and divided it into each bowl. Then I blanched the beansprouts (I don't like raw beansprouts), for about a minute and then divided it amongst each bowl.

Ladle chicken broth into each bowl to cover noodles (to reheat especially if they cooled down). Serve immediately. Fresh peeled stir-fried shrimp is delish in this as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment