Friday, June 12, 2009

Prime Rib Roast

Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo of it after it was cooked and I didn't tell them to take one. I'm sure it was a lot better than the dinner that we had tonight at Captain John's!

Captain John's in the Center there - It was an actual ship that sailed at one time long, long ago.
We're going out tonight! Just me and hubby with two other couples! What a rare occasion this is. I got tickets to see Russell Peters, the comedian. He is a Canadian born Indian guy who is just hilarious! We've watched all of his DVDs and nearly peed our pants every time! Ok, I'll share a secret with you guys - I forgot to empty my bladder last time and had a bit of an accident! We were forewarned to go the the bathroom before we watch his show tonight.*

Terrilyn and her boyfriend Peter.

Also, it was Terrilyn's prom night. She looked beautiful! Where has the time gone? She's graduating in less than two weeks from high school!! She's off to Wilfred Laurier University, Waterloo in the fall. It's great that it's not too far from home - approximately an hour away from home. I got some lovely photos of her in the backyard and was sorry that I couldn't join her at the pre-prom at a friend's house where everyone was gathering for photos as it was at the same time as we were meeting up with our friends to go downtown. I'm sure that there were a ton of cameras there but I know she would have loved for us to be there with her and her friends. We had bought the Russell Peters tickets before she had the date of her prom written in my agenda.

My cousins, who are the best cousins that anyone could ask for, are babysitting our kids so that we go downtown for a nice evening at Captain John's Seafood **(the cheapskates that we are, we're all using our Entertainment Book Coupons) and then a short 5 minute walk to the Air Canada Center to have a good laugh.

Since we're having surf and turf for dinner, I would be considered an ungracious person if I left my cousins who so kindly are using their Friday night to play with my kids, with a pepperoni pizza, wouldn't I? Even better, they are bringing a sushi platter since they know how much my kids enjoy it! Geez, talk about giving us the guilt trip for going out! Alright, alright, I'll pay them back for the sushi! Oh, they also had Shake 'n Bake chicken wings, too!


Before putting my roast in the oven, I prefer to make a rub/paste of soy sauce and other seasonings and rubbing it all over the meat and leaving the roast on the counter for about 1/2 an hour before placing it in a preheated 325 F oven.

For Rub:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp Montreal Steak Spice
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder

In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients and then rub into the meat and let the roast stand for about 1/2 hour before cooking.

Peel and cut up a whole cooking onion, 4 medium potatoes and 4 carrots into fairly large pieces and place at the bottom of the pan. Cover vegetables with water and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper (or anything you feel like), place your roast on a rack in your roasting pan over the vegetables. Bake at 325 F until desired doneness.

I know some people say you aren't suppose to put water at the bottom of your pan since it would be like you are steaming it, but for whatever reason, I don't feel that it affects the texture of the flavour of the meat. In fact, I have always gotten compliments on my roast. I believe that if you tent the roast with foil, the steam can get trapped, therefore retaining the moisture, otherwise, I've never had a problem. The vegetables are to die for as well, absorbing the juices from the roast. Then the water can be made into a nice gravy.

* Russell Peters was REALLY funny but not as funny as he is on his DVDs. We think it's because they've pick and chosen the best from many shows to put on the DVDs.

** The waiter looked like he'd been there since 1972. He was a cute little man which provided great service. He had a quirky kind of sense of humour. Our appetizers were great. I had mussels in a tomato sauce with celery and mushrooms. My main was a Fried Louisiana Shrimp and hubs had baked salmon, both of which were bland. Luckily we had coupons which saved us almost $30 per couple! I don't think we'll be returning there even if we have a coupon!

2 comments:

  1. You had this delicious looking roast AND got to see Russell Peters? (Green with envy ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrilyn and Peter really did look amazing. Ahhh...to be 18 again!!

    Nice to hear that you had a great meal and a good laugh. We all need that once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete