Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dumplings & Green Onion Patty

Pork Filled dumplings.

Being that I had a busy day again, not to mention that I had a HUGE breakfast (Theo's), skillet of veggies, egg and fruit at Cora's, I didn't feel like cooking a huge meal. Something quick and simple would do.

Frozen Pork Filled Dumplings.

You can purchase these northern Chinese style dumplings at most western large chain grocery stores now but I think that there are too many fillers apart from the meat. I had ordered a two hundred pork dumplings (4 bags) from Shanghai Dim Sum in Scarborough. Can you imagine wrapping dumplings all day long, 7 days a week?This little mom and pop shop supplies to restaurants and has a small storefront made up of a few deep freezers. Nothing fancy - no fancy signs or packaging - they just package each pack into plain plastic vegetable bag that you get at the grocery store scrawled with a single Chinese character with a plain old Sharpie on the outside of the bag, indicating the type of dumpling . No directions as to what the heck to do with them when you bring them home! Simple enough though, once you're told.
Dumplings being browned to crisp bottoms.

Pork dumplings are my family's favorite (except Ryan's). These little dumplings have a slight hint of ginger, and are so tasty and juicy. You have to be careful when biting into one of these as they do have a tendency to be so juicy that they squirt hot liquids across the table or onto yourself. It's happened many times and can be funny and painful at the same time, not to mention the much-needed heavy use of Spray-and-Wash on your tops afterwards.

A pretty nice box for green onion patties. Very interesting poem on packaging.Very interesting cooking instructions, too.Frozen Green Onion PattiesFlaky green onion patties.


He makes several different items other than the many types of dumplings, such as green onion patties, and red bean paste patties. I'm not a big fan of his green onion patties as I think they aren't flaky/layered enough, but too much of a doughy texture. He must be doing something right, because this little joint must be a little gold mine, as my friend who owns the place often makes his deliveries in his sparkling yellow Porshe 911. I guess I'm contributing to his wealth. My friends and family will place their orders through me. Maybe, I should be asking for a discount, shouldn't I?

Dipping Sauce

How could I deny myself the pleasure of standing there and wrapping these dumplings for my loving family? Well, at 50 dumplings for $10 for the plain pork filled dumplings, it's a lot easier to buy than to make. Time is money, isn't that how the saying goes??

There are many ways that I cook my dumplings:

**DO NOT DEFROST BEFORE COOKING**

Way #1: To cook these delicious dumplings the faster way, just drop these suckers into a huge pot of boiling, salted water, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes and serve in chicken broth.

Way #2: Boil a large pot of water. Drop the dumplings in until they are done, around 10 minutes. Heat a frying pan and coat pan with cooking oil. Place dumplings on pan to brown one side and serve.

Way #3: Arrange dumplings neatly with the pinched side up in a large skillet with lid. Add about a 1/2" of water and cover. Turn to medium high heat and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until all the water has evaporated being careful not to burn the dumplings. Remove when bottoms of dumplings are golden brown. Serve immediately.

Dipping sauce:

1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp chili paste
1 close minced garlic
a dash of sesame oil

Mix and stir together all ingredients in a small bowl and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I love green onion pancakes! The dumplings are delicious too.

    ReplyDelete