Friday, June 5, 2009

Chicken Chow Mein




Today's lunch was a quick one since my cousins and I had planned a trip to the local farm where we are allowed to feed the animals. It's all FREE! and the kids always have such a great time together there. Did you know that Llamas spit? Well, they do and will. My cousin learned the hard way and it was FUNNY!! It's like a giant sneeze all over you! Disgusting! She had just fed it a carrot and puff, she was covered! eheheheh! I've been going to Lionel's Pony Farm for years, since my other kids were little and have never known about the "spitting llama" m as he is so affectionately called. Then there were a couple of other visitors proclaiming to have had this happen to them in the past a couple of times as well. I guess I should count myself quite luckily. Well, now I know not to get too close to the thing.

I wish I still had my compact camera that I could pack in my purse. A few weeks ago, we were at the zoo and Lauren was climbing on the brass orangutang. She lost her footing, I leaped and my sunglasses AND camera went flying into the air, landing on the hard concrete. Needless to say, my camera is busted. It was a great little Fuji FInepix F47 that I picked up from Costco not even a year ago for under $200. The sad part is that the thing still had 2 years warranty left. I sent it in to be repaired, only to be advised of the $209 repair bill! Nuts, eh? Ebay searching has been a priority this week. Hopefully I can get the same one so that I can utilize the battery and XD card. This little camera actually took great video footage that was easily transfered to my computer. I stopped using my DVD camcorder for the image wasn't anywhere nearly as sharp as the the Fuji's!

Before heading out to the zoo, we had a quick lunch of chicken chow mein. You can essentially put anything into a stir-fry and whatever you have on-hand would do. Today, I used basic ingredients of frozen seasoned chicken breast (this way, I don't have to premarinade the meat), broccoli, carrots, and red onions.



1 pkg of fresh chow mein egg noodles (this is a lot of noodles)
3 skinless, boneless seasoned chicken breasts, sliced
1 bunch of broccoli, florets separated
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1 red onion, cut up into eighths
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 tbsp cornstarch, a bit of cold water to make slurry
1 cup water
cooking oil

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Fill a large jumbo skillet with lid half with water and bring to a boil. Blanch broccoli and carrots for about 2 minutes and with a slotted spoon, remove and place aside. Bring pot of water to a boil again and add noodles, blanching for about 2 minutes. Drain water and spread the noodles over a baking sheet. Pour cooking oil over the noodles to coat the bottom of the baking sheet and place in oven to brown/crisp noodles. Remove when desired crispness is reached.

Heat skillet on medium high heat. Add oil to skillet and stir-fry the red onion pieces and chicken slices and unless no longer pink. Remove and set aside. Heat skillet and add a bit of cooking oil and salt. Add the broccoli and carrots, stir-fry for about a minute and return chicken and onion to pan. Add sugar, soy sauce, oyster sauce and water and bring to a boil. Form a well in the center and pour cornstarch slurry in, tossing ingredients to coat. Bring to a boil until gravy thickens. If the gravy's consistency is too thick for your liking, you can add a little water to thin, or visa versa.

Scoop out stir-fried ingredients and serve over noodles.

***One package of egg noodles doesn't appear to be a lot but it really is enough to feed my whole family!



After precooking for 2 minutes in boiling water, drain and spread out on a cookie sheet. Chinese people prefer their noodles in chow mein a little crispy. Or if you prefer, you can pan fry in smaller batches but this would mean more oil.



Stir-fry the ingredients all the ingredients and spoon it over the noodles before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I have so been into homemade chinese food lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make it this week! I am not very experienced with cooking Chinese, and I so want to learn! thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete