Sunday, May 3, 2009

Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken & Dipping Sauce


My last trip to Sam's Club in Buffalo (Niagara Falls), New York yielded a ton of chicken. One of the things that I do so that I could be a little more spontaneous during the week is to pre-marinade all my meats before freezing. Sometimes I have no idea what we're going to have until 4 or 5 pm and so, I have to be able to just quickly thaw something in the microwave and cook it up with whatever we have in the fridge. I could also somewhat plan what we're having for dinner a day or two in advance with bigger blocks of meat. I find that meat is actually tastier when I marinade before freezing.

Anyway, a couple of nights ago, I defrosted a batch of Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken. I served this on a choice of rice or rice noodles, and yummy coleslaw (I know, doesn't quite go but they need their veggies!)

I pounded each piece on both sides with a meat tenderizer. Because I came back with about 10 lbs., I only pounded out about 3/4 of them before I gave up and marinaded the rest with my basic marinade.


2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp fresh lemon grass
2 stalks green onions, chopped
3 tbsp garlic, chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs

Combine salt, sugar, fish sauce, chopped onion, chopped garlic, chopped fresh lemon grass and oil in a small bowl. Pour over chicken pieces in a bowl and let meat marinade in the fridge for at least 3 hours, turning occasionally. Or freeze and use at a later date.

Grill over medium heat until done, approximately 30 minutes. You can also broil or pan-fry with a bit of oil.



Dipping Fish Sauce (Nước mắm).

1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp. ground chile paste; more or less to taste
2/3 cup hot water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
2 Tbs. shredded carrots (optional)


In a small bowl, combine garlic, chile paste, hot water, and sugar. Stir well. Add the fish sauce and lime juice and combine. Float the carrots on top. Let sit for at least 15 minutes before using.


Everyone loves this simple dip for their meat and spring rolls.






1 comment:

  1. Yummm! I love grilled meat and this looks mouth watering good!

    ReplyDelete