Thursday, May 28, 2009

Quick and Easy Chili


Today was a gloomy, cool, rainy day and so for dinner, I wanted something nice and warm. Yesterday, as we were at my good friend and neighbour, Natalie's house having coffee, she was preparing a quick and easy dinner. I like chili very much but always thought nobody else in the family really enjoyed it so I just never got around to making a huge pot, but rather just buying the canned Stagg Chili. I find it a bit thick, but it would suffice. Today, I made a trip to Costo for a family pack of ground beef amongst all the other stuff I didn't really need, and chili for dinner it was going to be.

Quick and Easy Chili

1-1/2 lbs. ground meat (beef, chicken or turkey)
1 whole cooking onion, chopped
1/2 lb. of fresh mushrooms, sliced or 1 can sliced
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 12 oz. can of mixed beans, rinsed and drained
1 12 oz. can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup of salsa sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

  1. Heat a large pot and add a bit of cooking oil. Saute onions and mushrooms. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
  2. Add the remainder of the ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Top with cheddar cheese and serve with bread.

1 comment:

  1. Comfort food...I need some! Looks so hearty and good!

    ReplyDelete