Monday, May 4, 2009

I LOVE Garage Sales - This Week's Finds

I love garage sales. My husband doesn't quite understand it, because he thinks it's time we have a garage sale of our own. I have a problem with this idea - it would mean that I have to stay at home to tend to my garage sale while missing out on what everyone else is selling - no can do. I just donate my stuff like I will this Wednesday to the Children's Wish Foundation/Salvation Army. They call and then come right to our home to pick up stuff every couple of months. I've tried collecting stuff in the past and I can't stand the clutter in what becomes a huge area of the designated "garage sale stuff". I just end up donating it to make space for more! LOL!

Each Saturday morning, my sister-in-law and I set out bright and early with coffees or teas in tow beginning in mid-April of each year. The problem with this is that we are usually in search of the same stuff and we have to be respectful of each other. We know what the other likes. Whomever spots it, has first dibs. Then it's offered to the other. "Well, if you're not going to buy it, then I will." is what we'll say to each other. Then you have to put your thinking cap on and wonder if a it's better deal/find than you think. It's mind games, man! But we have fun shopping together. We love to brag about the deals of the day and compare who got spent the most bang for their buck.

What we are looking for is beyond me. Sometimes you go out in search of something and won't come across it for weeks, if ever. If you're a treasure hunter, you'd know what I mean. But when you spot that something, you'll know you'd just HAVE to have it!

The number of garage sales were dismal this week. Even hubby was surprised I was home before 10 am. We stopped at about 10 houses and I think I scored pretty well.

Take a look:


I found my Costco dishes! I have a similar set from the year before this set was offered and I donated the bowls to a charity garage sale for my daughter's rugby team last year which I later much regretted. Well, on Saturday, for $20, I got a complete set of 9 (missing the three red dinner plates and 1 dessert plate from a set of 12)

For $3.50, I got all these books!!


Also, a $10 like-new outdoor straw mat, which I hemmed and hawed over but knew I'd regret it if I didn't take it. But I'm glad I did because it's perfect for our upper deck!

Not bad, eh??

1 comment: