Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Little Damage, Big Mess

Hot dogs and Coleslaw for dinner again??



This is what had to be thrown out plus the chicken, along with the large white bowl and bowl with the carrots!!



This is my favorite brand of vermicelli noodles. Chewy Brand - Product of Thailand


I got home from the zoo yesterday and embarked on what I thought was going to be a simple one dish meal of rice vermicelli noodles stir-fried with moist chicken breast slices, and tons of vegetables. Well, here I was, peeling, chopping, taking pictures, etc. when I quickly reached for another bowl. SMASH! I managed to maneuver a bowl from the stack at the back of the cupboard and quickly pulled it forward, not noticing that on the way out, there was a stack of clear custard bowls to the right. That's not where these belong! Who ever emptied the dishwasher last place a stack of clear glass of ramekins in front of the bowls! It smashed my large serving bowl which I had the blanched noodles in and another small one filled with chopped something, along with 3 custard cups. The damage wasn't so bad except that that was my favourite and only large serving bowl which I used quite frequently. The problem was that there was glass everywhere!! So, I had to throw it all out, including the chicken breast that I had just deboned!

Out with the vacuum cleaner and on with the barbeque and grilled the stand-by dozen hot dogs and buns along with leftover coleslaw AGAIN...


What would have been a huge batch of Chicken Vegetable Vermicelli Stirfry:

1 lb. dried vermicelli noodles, cooked in boiling water for about a minute and then rinsed in cold (I cut the noodles into shorter 2" lengths for easier cooking and eating)
1 lb chicken breast, sliced
1 green pepper, julienned
1 orange pepper, julienned
1 cooking onion, sliced, sliced
2 stalks of celery, julienned
2 green onion, sliced into 1" lengths
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. dark soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Over medium high heat, add a bit of cooking oil stir fry chicken till just cooked. Scoop out and reserve for later. Reheat the pan and add all the vegetables, stir frying for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and place in same bowl as chicken or separate bowl. Reheat pan, add salt and then return cooked vermicelli noodles to pan and heat through. Return chicken and vegetables, add sugar, soy sauces and pepper, and mix through. Serve.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad about your chicken stirfry - it sounds delish. Though hot dogs and coleslaw is always great.
    And sorry to hear that you broke your favorite serving bowl (but that means you can shop for a new one, right?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have cried and cried! What a waste!

    ReplyDelete