Saturday, May 9, 2009

Crab and Lop Cheung Fried Rice

Fried rice was a staple when we were kids. When we had lot of leftover rice, we knew what was for dinner the next day. I hated it when my mother put the leftover foods for the previous days into it. Fried rice is an easy and convenient one dish meal. My eldest daughter is going off to university next September and this is one of the dishes that I'll have to teach her to make. For whatever reason, she has no interest in learning how to cook, but only in eating what's put on the table. She does enjoy baking albeit from a box (eg. Duncan Hines cake mixes, brownies, Kraft Mac & Cheese) meaning she is capable of following directions, and therefore, will be able to log onto my blog and cook something I usually cook. The only thing is that the quantities will have to be adjusted. Oh well. I had to learn, and I'm sure she'll learn, too.

I came across Steamy Kitchen's crab and lop cheung fried rice recipe. Lop cheung is something that is a staple in most Chinese family's fridge and we had it occasionally along with salted duck eggs. It's a comfort food of sorts. I thought it was an interesting combination as I've never used crab in fried rice before. I've had 4 cans of crab meat sitting in my pantry for months. I've been meaning to make some hot crab dip appetizer for company but somehow I always forget until I see the cans again.

Crab & Marinade mixture
1 can crab (6-8oz)
1/2 t grated fresh ginger (grate on rasp grater)
1 teasp cooking wine
1/4 teasp sesame oil
Salt & Pepper
2 Eggs, beaten
3 cups cooked rice, break up the chunks
2 stalks scallions minced
1/2 cup frozen vegetable mixture (peas/corn/carrot) – defrosted for 15 min
2 teasp fish sauce 2 teasp soy sauce
1/2 cup diced Chinese sausage
1 teasp cooking wine

1. Marinate the Crab: Drain all the water from the can of crab meat. Marinate with list of ingredients above.

2. Fry Sausage, Crab & Eggs: Heat up your wok to medium-high. Add the Chinese sausage to the wok, turn the heat down to med-low. Cook until the sausage releases its fat – about 5 minutes. Remove sausage, leaving as much oil in wok as possible. Turn heat to med-high. Add eggs to wok. Add crab to wok. Fry the mixture gently until eggs cooked through but still very soft. Remove, leaving as much oil in wok as possible.

3. Fry Rice: You should have about 1T of oil in the wok. If not, add cooking oil to the wok. Turn heat to high. Once the wok is hot, add scallions, stir fry for 15 seconds. Add the rice – breaking up as many chunks at possible. Let the rice heat up in the wok. Add vegetables. Stir-fry until all is hot. Add fish sauce, soy, salt & pepper Add the Chinese sausage, egg/crab mixture. Stir fry until all ingredients are combined and steaming hot.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Can't wait to try it...lap cheung is one of my favourites too!