Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cinnabon Clone Recipe

A fresh bun just out of the oven.

I've been meaning to make this recipe for quite a while now and finally remembered to buy "bread flour". I was also looking out for a breadmaker but then thought I'd better not. I have bad memories of bread makers. Years ago, my ex thought he was doing me a favour and got me a Black and Decker bread maker for one of my first mother's day. That was very nice except that it was something HE really wanted and wanted me to immediately make the f***ing bread right then and there! Needless to say, when we separated, I packed the bread maker up and out it went along with him so that he could make his own dang bread!

Ever wonder what the difference is between all-purpose flour and bread flour is? Well, here's an explanation:

Bread Flour vs. All-Purpose Flour

Bread flour is a high-gluten flour that has very small amounts of malted barley flour and vitamin C or potassium bromate added. The barley flour helps the yeast work, and the other additive increases the elasticity of the gluten and its ability to retain gas as the dough rises and bakes. Bread flour is called for in many bread and pizza crust recipes where you want the loftiness or chewiness that the extra gluten provides. It is especially useful as a component in rye, barley and other mixed-grain breads, where the added lift of the bread flour is necessary to boost the other grains.

All-purpose flour is made from a blend of high- and low-gluten wheats, and has a bit less protein than bread flour — 11% or 12% vs. 13% or 14%. You can always substitute all-purpose flour for bread flour, although your results may not be as glorious as you had hoped. There are many recipes, however, where the use of bread flour in place of all-purpose will produce a tough, chewy, disappointing result. Cakes, for instance, are often made with all-purpose flour, but would not be nearly as good made with bread flour

http://www.ochef.com/Question.htm

I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com. I also have Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes collection which also offers up his version of a copy-cat real-thing ooey gooey Cinnabon. I actually like this homemade version better than the real Cinnabon, which is to say that it isn't an exact replica of Cinnabon's famous rolls. The real Cinnabons are actually not as fluffy as this one, I found, although both versions are scrumptious, I think at the prices that they charge for a large bun, I'll just charge my kids half price and I'm sure thye'd be happy to pay up for a piece!

Sliced before rising.

After 30 minutes of resting on the stove top.

Fresh from the oven.

The recipe below is for a bread maker. I no longer own one so I did the "no bread machine" version which is just as simple. See below for it.

DOUGH:

1 cup warm milk (110F/45C)

2 eggs, room temperature

1/3 cup margarine, melted (I used butter)

4-1/2 cups bread flour

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup white sugar

2-1/2 tsp bread machine yeast (I used regular dry active yeast)


FILLING:

1 cup brown sugar, packed

2-1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon

1/3 cup butter, softened (I accidently melted mine in the microwave)

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:

1 pkg cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup butter

1-1/2 cups icing sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/8 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press start.
  2. After the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
  3. Roll dough into a 16" x 21" rectangle (I used a jelly roll pan). Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9"x13" baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F.
  4. Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frsting on warm rolls before serving.
FOR NO BREAD MACHINE:

Dissolve sugar in milk, add yeast. Let foam. Then add eggs, salt and butter/margarine. Use mixer to combine flour, then use bread hook to knead. Continue with step #2 above.

**TIP: After the frosting is whipped, place in a disposable zip top bag and snip a corner to pipe.





No comments:

Post a Comment