Thursday, May 21, 2009

California Rolls & Avocado Salad



We got a real taste of summer over the last two days here with temperatures today reaching 30 C with humidity feeling like 34 C! Can you believe that my Nicholas, William and Lauren swam today?! The water is FREEZING COLD! They braved it and again, Nicholas was the first one in again this year.

This morning, I made some California Sushi Rolls for their lunch boxes. I just wanted to give them something different from the same humdrum of sandwiches almost everyday. I had made the rice and prepped it with the powdered vinegar last night and just left it in the rice cooker so that it would be cooled by morning. It's kind of more time consuming than making a sandwich but my kids are worth it. For whatever reason, whenever I make these rolls, I can't help but lay the rice on a little too thick making HUGE rolls. It all tastes good still though. We had these for breakfast as well.


California Rolls
I found a site that better explains how to make this - from making the rice in the beginning to rolling it at the end. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Appetizers/CaliforniaRoll.htm



This is the way to make proper California Rolls - after putting the rice on, you flip it nori-side up before putting the filling.I like the nori on the outside.

I used the food processor to blend the crabmeat with some Miracle whip to give it a creamier sweetness. Except I had to make some unblended for William who likes the crab in chunks.

Too much sesame seeds, I think.

I prefer the nori on the outside.


What was for dinner? BBQ, of course. I just marinaded that last of my chicken drums from my last trip to Buffalo and put a few Octoberfest sausages on along with a few Costco Roadhouse burgers on the grill, boiled up some broccoli and made an avocado salad which was delicious and refreshing. Problem is, nobody really likes avocados in this family except Nicholas and myself. Even then, he's not a big salad eater and didn't even try this. Everyone else just picked out the avocado pieces.

Avocado Salad
1 large or 2 small ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 seedless cucumber, chopped
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 fresh lime, juiced
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.

No comments:

Post a Comment