Monday, April 27, 2009

Whole Wheat No-Rise Pizza Dough

Last month, I posted a recipe for a No-Rise Pizza Dough which has become a family favorite. I made the same dough a little more healthier by using a bit of whole wheat flour. Having tried the whole wheat crusts from the chain pizza outlets, I was a bit skeptical about this. The problem with baking with whole wheat flour is that it absorbs a lot more moisture than regular flour. Not knowing this, I substituted the whole amount of white enriched flour in equal amounts. That was not a good thing. I had to throw away 6 cups of flour since I double up my batches (large family). The next time, I used 1 cup whole wheat to 2 cups of white flour per batch and it was PERFECT! My kids are fine with whole wheat and whole grain products so they didn't even notice the difference.

By doubling the recipe, because we like a thinner crust, I can make 3-4 large pizzas out of it. I actually made a panzerotti by piling one side of the crust with extra sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, olives, and mushrooms and then folding the dough over and crimping by hand. I guessed at the bake time which was of course longer than the pizza. I forgot to take a picture AND I didn't even get a bite of it!






1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups flour
1 tbsp. quick rise dry active yeast
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp white sugar
1 cup warm water (110F/45 C)

Cooking Directions:

1. Preheat oven with baking stone to 375F. (I use a Pampered Chef bar pan or cookie pan.)

2. Combine flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a mixing bowl. Mix oil and warm water and add to flour mixture. Use dough hook and mix until fully combined.

3. Stretch the dough as thin as possible to fit the size of your stone or baking pan, or if you have a pizza peel. Top with ingredients and place pizza on the hot stone in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.

**HANDY TIP: if you let the dough rise for about a 1/2 hour, you will get a more tender crust but if you don't have the time, it's still delicious!**

**HANDY TIP: If you make extras, just put it in the fridge in a large ziploc bag and use at a later date, or make ahead.**

**HANDY TIP: If you have a stone, preheat it in your oven and slide your pizza onto it. It will cook more evenly and give you a crispier crust. If you don't have a pizza peel, like me, I use an Ikea flexible cutting board**

7 comments:

  1. Yummmm...that pizza looks perfect. Mouth watering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very similar to a recipe I use - but I use all whole wheat flour -and it comes out great too.
    As a mom of 7, time saving recipes are great for my kitchen! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Traci,

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Mom of 7?! Everyone thinks I'm a superstar with 5! You take the cake here, supermom! :)

    I've been doing 1/2 wwf and 1/2 regular. When I used all ww, it was way too dry and I had to throw out the entire batch. Could I have added more water or oil?

    Anna

    PS. I actually use olive oil instead of vegetable oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made this recipe, it's beautiful! I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil and added pepper and herbs. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this last night. Great! I used olive oil instead of vegetable and would recommend putting the bases in the oven for 5 minutes before putting any toppings on, to ensure ultimate crispiness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I not only use all whole wheat flour and olive oil, but I found an organic Pepperoni (at Sprouts) that is uncured from pork that had no hormones or antibiotics- "Fiorucci". I also make my own sauce, adding broccoli and part skim mozzarella with other cheeses along with the pepperoni and mushrooms for a topping. I use some milled flax seed in the dough as well as on the board when rolling each. I live alone, so make individual slices that I freeze in a sandwich bag.

    ReplyDelete