Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Birthday dinner for Hubby


The last week had been like a food-fest around here. Unfortunately, I didn't get a lot of photos because I just wasn't in the mood, and when I was, I would forget to take pictures of the either the before or after and it just wouldn't be worth posting if I didn't have both, or at least the after-picture of everything.

April 20th was Steven's birthday but because we drove my aunts and uncle back to Buffalo International Airport, we decided to stay the day to do some cross-border shopping. Got a few deals like a pair of boots, slip on shoes, and a pair of runners from Rockport/Reebok outlet for only US$70! and US$1.99 turtle necks and tops from Children's Place.

The selection of Pepperidge Farm Fishy Crackers that the US consumers have is amazing! We got all sorts like colored, honey, chocolate, pizza (they have those here in Canada), even corn. There was also ranch, double cheddar, white cheddar, and a couple of other flavors that I opted out of. I realized that if I got the teddy grahams, they're very similar but the fishy shapes are a little too cute and different for me to pass up on. We don't have chocolate teddies and they do taste very much like the chocolate fishies - yummy!


The savings are phenomenal! I love going to Sam's Club in the US. Since it's closed down here, we chose to keep our membership so that we could take advantage of items such as this. I bought 2 lbs. of instant yeast for only US$3.66! I paid close to C$6 for a pound not too long ago. 8 lbs. of unsalted butter for about US$1.60/lb. we pay about C$4.39 at Costco. The 5 lb. brick of cheddar cheese is only US$8.62 at Sam's and C$26.99! (Not a typo.) The shredded mozzarella was US$9.02. and whole chickens were only US$0.75/lb.! The savings list goes on and on for groceries. There is no tax on groceries so I could bring back as much as I could store in my freezer until the next time. You just have to know your prices because not everything is a better price. I know that dairy products and chicken are worthwhile bringing back. WIth a large family, it doesn't take long to gobble it all up.


So, on the menu for the belated birthday dinner was Caesar Salad, BBQ rib-eye steaks, steamed sugar snap peas, sauteed mushrooms and onions, roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes, fresh fruit roll.

On my ribeye's I just sprinkle with my favorite Clubhouse Montreal Steakspice and seasoning salt before grilling.


The stringless sugar snap peas are the best. They are SO tender and sweet. No need to de-string before cooking. Just steam for about 3 minutes and serve as is or sprinkle with a bit of seasalt.



The mushrooms and onions are just sauteed in a bit of butter with a bit of salt and pepper to taste.



The roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes are a favorite side of our family as well. Preheat oven to 425F. I just peel and cut up the potatoes and place in a plastic bag. Coat with extra virgin olive oil, season with a bit of onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and shake up. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet (stone preferably so you won't have to turn half way), and remove from oven when golden brown. Approximately 20 minutes.



I'd like to say that I made this fresh fruit spongecake roll, but I didn't. I do have a great recipe which I will post very soon, but I just didn't have enough time and energy to bake. It is a simple sponge cake, with fresh whipped cream and berries mixed in, topped with fresh berries. This is Mmm, Mmmm good! This is my favorite dessert especially in the summer. Often, I will make the sponge cake in a jelly roll pan and just slice it in half and layer. It may not look as attractive, but it all goes down the same!

2 comments:

  1. That is a very man friendly birthday dinner, I am sure your hubby was over the moon :D. I love teddy grahms too, so cute, so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HH,
    Thanks for dropping by. You are so right- it Is a man-friendly dinner. Fortunately, we all love a good steak, including little Lauren. So it was enjoyed by all.

    ReplyDelete