Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fresh Lemon Grass


k
I love the lemony sweet scent of fresh lemongrass. I've had foods that have the flavor in it but have never actually tried to seek it out to cook with it. Only recently have I discovered it and decided to try to make a Vietnamese BBQ chicken dish with it. The only problem is that I'm not really sure which parts I'm suppose to use. I ended up peeling the outer layers of the woody stalk away and discarded it. It seemed like a lot of waste. Then I did read somewhere on the internet that you are suppose to peel the hard outer layers and save for soups and then use the softer inner bulbous part of the stalks chopped up. Well, I didn't know where to stop when chopping since even the upper parts seemed tender. I chopped two bunches up, put everything into a Tupperware container and popped it into the freezer to use at a later date.




Can anyone help me here? What are you suppose to do with each parts. I've been using it like I use green onions - the whole thing! Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. We are curious to see what kind of comment you get here? We use lemon grass like a bay leaf. put it in a soup or sauce and then fish it out later. We guess that it depends on how fresh and young the product is? We will watch this. best from Santa Barbara, s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always either used it as a whole and fished it also or peeled the tougher parts and used the soft inner core.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you remove the tough part and cut them into small pieces... for marinade i just smash them and soak them together with the marinade. You can also use them for roast chicken (insert them in the cavity ) .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have scheduled a blog post on how to use fresh lemongrass in Thai cuisine (different ways of cutting and slicing it, etc., including what to do with lemongrass scraps) for next week. Visit http://www.shesimmers.com The post should be up sometime next week.

    Leela

    ReplyDelete
  5. SB, Please do stop back for updates. Maybe there are a lot of people who don't know how to use it.

    5SF & Mumay, thanks for the tips. The roast chicken idea sounds delish!

    Leela, I am looking forward to your post.

    Thanks for stopping by. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the green leaves of lemon grass to flavour soups. I also add small bits of lemon grass in my morning tea. It add a refreshing flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I love lemon grass and mainly use the leafy part in some chicken and fish recipe but I am not yet an expert to confidently comment on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the wonderful tips!

    ReplyDelete