Thursday, April 9, 2009

Chicken Rice Casserole


I went out for dinner with our "book club" this evening at a great Thai/Vietnamese restaurant in Richmond Hill called Rex Singha (formerly Rex Saigon). What more can you ask for? Good company and good food! Just a little secret: at our book club nights, there are no books! Go figure! Somewhere along the line over the last year, the book in book club literally got dropped! (I don't think the husbands know it though...giggle, giggle, harr, harr). As with most asian food, the prices are always very reasonable. I wish I had my camera with me. Most of us ordered a set menu which included Tom Yum Soup, a spring roll, mango salad and a choice of either a chicken with green curry or pad thai noodle for $14.95. I ordered the latter and shared so we could sample a bit of both.

Unfortunately, for my family, it was a ladies only night (I don't feel bad as they don't like spicy food anyway), so I had to cook something that I could prepare ahead of time like this simple one-dish meal. It's always a hit with my family and has all the ingredients of a tasty, wholesome dinner and hubby could just pull it out of the oven and serve. Chicken with Rice Casserole it was, for them...

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast (I prefer air chilled chicken with bone and skin but can be made with chicken legs as well)
1 whole onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
4 cups broccoli florets, blanched in salted water
2 cups long grain rice, rinsed, (Uncle Ben's Converted, not instant)
4 cups of water
2 tbsp. chicken bouillon, or Bovril
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 F.
In boiling water, blanch broccoli florets and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
Heat 12" oven-proof skillet with lid and add enough cooking oil to coat the bottom of pan. Add chicken to brown and season with salt and pepper while cooking. Remove and set aside. Add onion, red and green pepper to pan and sautee. Mix bouillon/chicken Bovril with water, rinse rice and add both to the veggie mixture. Return chicken to skillet arranging on top. Cover with lid and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and arrange broccoli around chicken and bake for another 15 minutes or until chicken and rice are done. Stir and serve.

**If you do not have a large covered skillet, transfer ingredients to a 9" x 13" baking dish and cover with tin foil.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your visit!!! Your blog is very very "palatable"!!! Bye Rosalba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosalba,
    Glad you enjoyed your visit. Come again soon! Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be making this soon. Looks absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete