Saturday, March 7, 2009

Happy 18th BirthdayTerrilyn

It was my eldest daughter's birthday yesterday but because she was busy with friends, we decided to have her birthday dinner at home today. I can't believe I'm a mother of a young adult! Good thing I look young (at least I think I do!) I've gotten comments like "What? You must have been a teenage mom!", or my kids' friends' comments "Your mom looks SO young!" or "Wow! You look too young to have 5 kids!" What they really mean is "Are you nuts?!" or But just to set the record straight, I wasn't a teenage mom and I think I do look younger than my years! :)

To celebrate her new age of majority, she went out to buy a lottery tickets! Can you believe that you can buy but you can't cash a winning ticket until you are 19? Kind of a silly law if you ask me...

It was a long, tiring day as I feel like I had been slaving over a hot stove all day long. I think it was this bread baking frenzy that threw me off kilter today. It was suppose to be 5 minutes but i think it was a lot more than that with the mistake and cleanup. I'm usually pretty good with timing and getting dinner on the table at a reasonable time, too. Tonight, the prime rib was still cooking at 6:30 only reaching an internal temperature of about 53F. I needed it to be 63F for medium rare! Then I still had to put the salmon and veggies in the oven afterwards. I do have an extra oven downstairs but was too lazy to run up and down, so I opted to cook these last two dishes while the roast was resting. By the time we were half way done, the beans/broccoli/cauliflower dish was done to perfection. I forgot to cook some rice but that was ok because there were the carrots and potatoes (with onions and celery to give the jus a nice flavour) that I lay under the roast.

I also had to go out and buy a Dairy Queen ice cream cake which wasn't exactly the best idea but they're the only ones that I could get a princess cake from at last minute (I'm sometimes too disorganized/lazy to preorder and besides, there's a surcharge for special orders at Dairy Queen). It wasn't the best idea since my freezer is completely full from my Sam's Club excursions this past week so I had to adjust the temperature on the extra fridge to the coldest and store it in there for a few hours. By the time we served it, it was on the verge of a literal meltdown. Everything was done to perfection and very tasty with a couple of glitches with the rice and veggies.

I'm pretty comfortable in the kitchen and am at ease even when cooking for crowds of 75+ by myself. I usually print out a list of the menu and tape it up on the cupboard door beside the stove and look down the list to be sure I remembered everything. In the past, I've found uneaten rice in the rice cooker, porkchops days later marinating on the countertop, corn in the microwave, boiled corn in a pot, bread reheating in the oven, etc. Today, for whatever reason, I didn't do this. I guess because when I'm not cooking for 25+ people, I think I'm ok without it. Clearly, I'm mistaken. I can't always get it right, right??

PS. I found the bumbleberry pie in the oven after everyone left, too! Dessert for tomorrow...

PSS. I didn't take any pictures of my food. Next time I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment