Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Shrimp Teriyaki Stir-Fry

What should we have for dinner? That is the question every day! Sometimes, I just don't know what to cook anymore. Most days, I don't have an idea until 4:30 (thanks to the defrost mode on the microwave oven) but because I have a pretty well-stocked fridge and freezer, I can cook almost anything that I feel like. I usually don't get any ideas from anyone even if I begged. I must say that I am quite fortunate to have a bunch of willing eaters to feed each day. This of course, would make anyone's life easy.


So, today, as I squat in front of my refrigerator thinking, I see and take out a pound of shrimp and start defrosting in cold water. I buy the shrimps that are cleaned and slit down the back from Costco. This makes it that much quicker to remove the shell. I also found this great teriyaki sauce by Ton-Ton which they no longer carry at Costco and I haven't seen it anywhere else either. I've tried others but they are too "winey" for my liking. When I run out, I will start using my own combo which consists of Kikkoman light soy sauce, Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce, a bit of sugar, black pepper and salt. That's it!!

Have you ever ordered a teriyaki fast food at the mall? If you watch, they do not add anything except fresh ingredients, salt and pepper, then the teriyaki sauce before they serve it to you. You can use shrimp, chicken breast, pork, beef, etc. and any vegetables you have in the fridge. Heck, we sometimes eat just vegetables! That's the beauty of stir-fry! The teriyaki sauce will make anything taste good. It's so simple and delicious, not to mention nutritious as well!

Today, I used:

1 lb. shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 carrot, julienned
1 stalk of celery
1 lb. young bean sprouts
1/2 bunch of broccoli
1 cooking onion, sliced
1/2 red pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
canola/vegetable/corn oil cooking oil
water

  • Heat up a large skillet and add about 1 tablespoon of oil and heat up. Cook the shrimp until it it turn pink. Remove from heat and set aside.
  • Heat the skillet up and add about 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Add the carrots and stir for about 30 seconds. Then add the remainder of the ingredients, pepper to tasteand about 1/4 cup of water bring to a boil stirring constantly.
  • Cover with lid and cook until desired doneness of veggies (about 1-2 minutes). Return shrimp to pan, and add teriyaki sauce. Stir again and serve over a bed of Japanese (not to be confused with long grain rice).

** If you are using the bottled variety of teriyaki sauce, you can also add it on at the end.

**I think the fast food outlets at the malls, Made In Japan also sells their Teriyaki sauce.

2 comments:

  1. That sounded delicious. I'm always looking for something easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a huge fan of Tonton and after not being able to find it again at Costco I found that you can actually buy it directly from their website. Slightly more expensive and in smaller jars but I'll take it anyway I can get it. I also saw it at Williams & Sanoma. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete