Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Shrimp Fried Rice


Fried rice is an easy dish to make. It was actually one of the first dishes that I cooked on my own as a kid. I learned a lot from just watching and helping my mother and older sisters cook. In grade 7 Home Economics class, some 30 years ago, I demonstrated how it was made. It was shared amongst my classmates and I got an A+. Now, if a 12 year old can do it, so can you!

Originally, I think fried rice is suppose to be that leftovers were used up instead of going to waste. My mother used to use leftover everything in her fried rice and that's probably why to this day, I don't like leftovers.

Since we usually all sit down at the table for dinner every night, last night was a bit of an unusual one. Since i had a heavy lunch, I didn't quite feel hungry enough to make a 5 course meal. I polled the boys and they agreed on fried rice, since there was leftover rice from the night before. I rummaged through the fridge to see what kind of fried rice we were going to have. After a huge lunch ground beef just wasn't appetizing to me since I had a hamburger for lunch. Bacon is yummy but they had bacon and egg sandwich for breakfast. Shrimp fried rice it was!



4 cups cooked long grain rice (cooked the night before since fresh rice is too mushy)
6 large eggs, scrambled
1 cooking onion
1 cup frozen vegetables (nuked for 1 minute with a bit of water and then drain)
1/2 lb. shrimp, defrosted, peeled, deveined, chopped
canola/vegetable/corn oil
salt, to taste
light soy sauce, to taste
a dash of dark soy sauce for colour and a bit of sweetness ( I didn't add it in this batch)

First, heat the pan and add about a tablespoon of oil. Crack eggs and scramble. Do not cook through as it will be too rubbery when recooked at the end. Remove from heat and set aside.

Reheat pan, heat a bit of oil again and add onions and shrimp. Cook until shrimp turns orange but again, do not over cook.

Reheat pan again on medium high heat, with a bit of oil and add a bit of salt (about a teaspoon). Add cooked rice and heat through stirring and breaking up chunks.

Add the mixed vegetables and stir up. Then return all the ingredients back into the pan and mix cooking thoroughly. Add soy sauce, stir and serve.

Voila! An all in one meal in just 15 minutes!

1 comment:

  1. Funny...we had fried rice tonight too. I like using the leftover chicken from the night before.

    ReplyDelete