Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A ton of Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies





A couple of nights ago, I was looking for another recipe for Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies and came across a recipe that looked quite delish. I should have known...with a recipe that calls for 9 cups of flour and a 2 cups each of butter and vegetable shortening, it was going to produce more than a hundred cookies. Then again, the author did state that the granny that baked these for her team after every game had more than enough for everyone. So, I thought, why not?? I'll just freez'em.

With the kids down for the night, it was my time to do what I wanted while hubby sat and got to watch a bit of tv himself. If you know the way I cook, I don't exactly read through the directions properly and screw up somehow along the line (see 5-minute bread). Well, with this one, instead of putting the all the sugar with the butter and shortening to blend, I added the white sugar to the flour mixture. I'm sure that this made the butter mixture more difficult to blend with the flour mixture because there isn't enough to hold the wet ingredients together.

Was I in for a surprise! This batch was WAY too large to put under an electric mixer, so I had to do it with a wooden spoon. Well, the pieces of butter and shortening weren't blending very well even though I initially used a pastry cutter with the butter and sugar. I eventually, was basically kneading the mixture with my hands. It was gross. After everything was blended, I added the chocolate chips but not the 60 oz (9 cups) of semi-sweet they called for. I added 3 cups of white, 2 cups of milk and about 6 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips. This was more than enough.

I waited until morning before rolling them with my Pampered Chef small cookie dough scoop, so that I wouldn't eat the whole batch before going to bed with the excuse that they're no good overnight. This way, the kids could enjoy them and be the judge of these. They were a hit! I'm not sure if I'd make them again because the batch turned out approximately 230 2-1/2" cookies!!! I rolled these and froze about 200 of them. The other 30? In our tummys! Oh yeah, they taste a lot like the Pilsbury chocolate chip cookies.


Just a coincidence that I found this recipe yesterday, but just this evening, I was reading MacClean's magazine and there was a little quote that a parliamentary page girl said that butter and lard is the secret to a good cookie.




Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies (chewy)
Adapted from: http://www.lovintheoven.com/2009/01/grandmas-triple-chocolate-chip-cookies.html
Ingredients:
• 9 cups flour
• 4 tsp baking soda
• 4 tsp salt
• 3 cups white sugar
• 3 cups brown sugar
• 2 cups Crisco shortening
• 2 cups softened butter
• 4 tsp vanilla
• 8 eggs
• 9 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
• 2 cups white chocolate chips
• 2 cups milk chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix flour mixture (flour, baking soda, salt) with sugar mixture (sugar, shortening, vanilla, eggs).
3. Add the chocolate chips to the batter and stir.
4. Form into walnut sized balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 11 and a half minutes. Let them cool on pan for 3 minutes before removing onto a wire rack to completely cool.

** When I roll these into balls, I make round balls, not flat to the scoop (see photos)

** You do not have to defrost before baking.



** If you think they'd be too sweet, you can do what a friend of mine does and substitutes dark chocolate for the milk chocolate chips in triple chocolate chip cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment