Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Coconut Cream Pie







If you like coconut cream pie, and think there's too much involved in making it, think again! This recipe is fast and easy, the way I like 'em! The hardest part is trying to keep it around long enough so that I could have a slice!





***This recipe can be easily doubled***

1 can (500 ml) of coconut milk
1 cup half and half cream

2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flaked coconut, toasted

1 9" pie crust, baked

1 cup whipped cream for topping




· In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, coconut milk, eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the coconut. Pour into pie shell and chill for at least 4 hours, or until firm.

· Top with whipped topping, and with remaining 1/4 cup of coconut.


· Note: To toast coconut, spread it in an ungreased baking sheet and bake in a 350F oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.


Couldn't be easier! Unless you're like me and constantly walking away, you'll be safe from burning the batch of coconut!

Today I used three 7 inch pie crusts instead of two 9" - store bought crusts, of course. I still can't master a good flaky pie crust. A friend of mine tried this with oreo cookie crumb crust which she said was amazing, too! I'll have to try that one soon. I would also think that a graham cracker crust would be good as well. Will have to try that one, too! Also, I like to use fresh whipping cream especially for a freshly made pie. I have a 1/2 litre whipped cream dispensers (the ones that use the nitrous oxide chargers, and coffee baristas use) which comes in pretty handy for things like this. The problem is, the kids love the cream so much, everytime they open the fridge door, the kids keep squirting it in their mouths!! (okay, I do it too! Teehee!)

4 comments:

  1. One of your regulars!!March 18, 2009 at 11:47 PM

    Yummm...my mouth is watering just thinking about it. I really is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...now I'm craving coconut cream pie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made Coconut Cream Pie before but the recipe was so time-consuming I haven't made it since. I will be trying your recipe soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally made this for a get-together and everyone said that it was really yummy. I'm glad I doubled the recipe because I can enjoy the pie after my guests leave (without the hustle and bustle of entertaining). My only complaint about doubling the recipe is it seemed to take forever for the mixture to thicken/boil.

    ReplyDelete